Thursday, April 7, 2011

Hi, I'm Robin, I'm a Shepherd and I'm in a Fifty-Nine Step Program...........

........because that's how many steps it is from the porch door to the barn door and I do it a LOT.  During lambing season I make the trip at least every few hours including the dreaded 2:30 AM sleepwalk.  I'm not a morning person.  Waking up takes time.  Hopping out of bed and throwing on clothes like a fireman when the alarm goes off does not come naturally to me.  There's a lot of brainstem function going on, and not much else.  But, it's reflex by now and I can get up, dress, go down  and be back in bed in 12 minutes if nothing's going on.

The flock has been pretty busy, and we only have 6 ewes to go.  The lambs are really growing fast. 

Hey, I think we're supposed to eat this.....

We've moved most of the lambs into mixing pens where they spend the bulk of their time hanging out and playing and sleeping.

Geez, lady....the flash - do ya mind?


If you don't know the password, you can't come in the fort.



This new arrival in the mixing pen is happy to sleep in the sun with mom standing guard.


The colored Cotswolds have some wild shading when they're lambs and the patterns are easy to see.  When they have markings on their faces instead of being solid color it's called "facial drama".


                                 
Dramatic lamb!  Dum - dum- DUUMMM!

And finally........Finally!....... a sign of spring.


Crocuses....es.


 It's not much yet, but I'll take it.

2 comments:

  1. Our dandelions are just coming on. I figure spring has truly sprung at that point. Ugh ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lambs are just about the cutest things I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete