Sunday, March 20, 2016

Let's Get This Party Started

Shearing got started as a surprise this year.  The shearer called late Thursday night to say the Friday appointment had cancelled and were we available?  Knowing it will take a few visits to get everyone done we thought we ought to take advantage of his offer even though it was less than twelve hours notice.  We had already fed the sheep but since they aren't bred it wasn't as problematic.  Normally, we don't feed the night before shearing because the sheep are more comfortable and the shearer can work better if the bellies aren't as full of hay.  Also, I luckily had enough giant clear plastic bags to acommodate the number he thought he could shear and as it turned out we did the two groups from the back pens which came to 39.

It turned out to be a raw day with sleet and snow pellets but we were reasonably comfortable in the barn.

Sweetie, waiting her turn

"Oh my gosh, look at that!"

"I can't believe you did that to me."

Everyone came through just fine and looks good.  The next scheduled date is Thursday the 24th.  I'm hoping it will be somewhat warmer.  The sheep were happy to be cooler but I started to get pretty cold.  Not quite enough brisk activity to keep the chill from penetrating the layers I had on.

Now to get all those bags of fleece onto the shelves.

No comments:

Post a Comment