Friday, June 20, 2014

Pretty Posies

June is a great month.  Everything that's supposed to be green has become so.  It's finally warm, at least in the middle of the day with the sun shining.  Birds are calling - all kinds of birds, all day long.  Fireflies glitter in the tall grass at dark.  The days are long and the light that lingers well after evening chores makes me sure that tomorrow I can Get Things Done.  I think one of the best parts is the flowers.  Real flowers, that bloom naturally and would bloom whether we all lived or died.  Spring bulbs massed in beds and such are wonderful for showing us that color does still exist even after a horrible long winter, but they tend to fade quickly on a warm day.  I like the tough country flowers that can stand up to getting trod upon, driven through, maybe mowed over or grazed on and keep blooming.

Big drifts of buttercups.....

 
Cheerful daisies..........
 


Complicated birdsfoot trefoil..........


Delicate little I-don't-know-what that grows in patches in the pastures.........



We've had some pretty good rains this spring but we were happy to have this miss us the other night.  I heard there was a lot of hail just five miles away.


I have a group of yearling Cotswold ewes who are making use of greenery growing in some hard to mow waste places around the upper barn.


Tomorrow is the longest day of the year and I plan to enjoy every (hopefully sunny) minute of it.  I don't even want to contemplate that the celestial pendulum will now swing us back toward cold and dark.  I'm going to bloom while the bloomin's good!

1 comment: